Have you ever struggled with map making? Spent countless hours trying to make it comply with the laws of nature?
This book is a step-by-step guidebook that will teach you how to create an authentic fantasy map. You will gain all the knowledge necessary to complete a map which your audience will believe, no matter if they are readers, viewing a movie, video game players, or role-playing gamers.
It contains the exact process I use when creating maps for my fantasy fiction. I have spent countless hours researching and learning about the topography of Earth and how to apply it to a fantasy map so that you do not have to.
I have translated it all into 14 easy steps which allow you to construct an entire fantasy map from start to finish.
- Step One: What you need to consider before starting your map.
- Step Two: The different options for creating the map: from hand-drawn over software to hiring a professional.
- Step Three: An overview of what is to come.
- Step Four: Sketch your map and make sure to get size of the world just right.
- Step Five: Adding continents by understanding how tectonic plates work.
- Step Six: Terraforming your world.
- Step Seven: Incorporating islands and lakes.
- Step Eight: Making sure that rivers are realistic.
- Step Nine: Adding forests.
- Step Ten: Borders and understanding how the lands will affect the people who live on them, and vice versa.
- Step Eleven: It’s then time for roads.
- Step Twelve: Optional fantasy elements.
- Step Thirteen: The final touches.
- Step Fourteen: The Map Master.
As a companion to this book, you will be able to download a free worksheet.
This is not a book to teach you how to draw. It’s about designing.