Have you ever struggled with map making? To make it compliant with the laws of nature? Or spent countless hours trying to understand geography?
In this book, I am going to simplify it all and teach you how to create an authentic fantasy map with a very accessible and simple step-by-step approach. You will gain all the knowledge necessary to complete a map that your audience will believe.
This book contains the exact process I use when creating maps for my fantasy fiction. I have spent countless hours researching and learning about the typography of Earth and how to apply it to a fantasy map so that you do not have to. I have translated it all into 13 easy steps that allow you to construct an entire fantasy map from start to finish.
In this book we will cover:
- Whether maps are important or not and tackle some of the common excuses for not developing one.
- What you need to think about before you start your map in order not to make mistakes in later steps.
- Discuss your different options for creating the map: from hand drawn over software to hiring a professional.
- Sketching your map and making sure that we get the size of the world just right.
- Adding continents by understanding how tectonic plates work.
- Terraforming your world with the knowledge of how winds and the equator affect the climate.
- After having added mountains and deserts, we will include islands and lakes.
- And then we make sure that rivers are not breaking the laws of nature.
- We add trees, before moving into understanding how the lands will affect the people who live on them and vice versa.
- It is then time for countries, borders, and roads.
- We then finish up with optional fantasy elements and include the last touches.
I promise you that I have simplified a very complicated topic so you can easily apply it to create more believable maps. Inside this eBook you will also find a downloadable worksheet to assist you in your map making process, and I have included yet another download for you inside. I will leave this last one as a surprise.
This is not a book to teach you how to draw. This is about designing.